[FUGSPBR] Dummynet

Joao Carlos jcrr em ieee.org
Qui Jan 10 13:54:32 BRST 2002

Galera eu mandei este email para a lista freebsd-questions mas nao obtive
resposta. Sera que alguem teria algo a dizer??

-----
I have one problem and one doubt about dummynet.
First of all, let me explain my network.

I have my FreeBSD (4.4-STABLE and 4.5-PRE-RELEASE) firewall and router
connected to 3 bridges that are connected to radio antennas. All my
clients
are connected with me by radio. What do I want? I want to limit the
bandwith
not only to the internet, after the packet passes my router and
firewall. I
want to limit the used bandwith in my antennas too, because i want the
minimum traffic through the bridges.

The doubt is if i limit the bandwith only on my router, if the bandwith
between the client and the router will be limited. I tested that with
TCP
connections and it worked, but i don't know if ICMP and UDP connections
will
work too.

The problem is that when i put the bandwidth limit, i see that it really
limits but the real limit is half than the limit i want. Example: I
configured my pipe like this, trying to limit the access of the client
128Kbit/s upload and 128Kbit/s for download

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 128Kbit/s
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 128Kbit/s
ipfw add pipe 1 ip from CLIENTIP to any
ipfw add pipe 2 ip from any to CLIENTIP

I did not use the in and out keywods because each of these two rules
will
match packets from the both directions (first rule - in when the acket
is
arriving in the firewall and out when it going out to the internet.
second -
in when the packet is arriving from the net and out whn it going to the
cliente. Well, at least i suppose so, and using in and out it didn't
worked
well)
Using this configuration i got that clients limited to 128Kbit/s could
use
64Kbit/s in maximum.
Clients limited to 384Kbit/s could use only something near 200Kbit/s
Clients limited to 256Kbit/s could use only 128Kbit/s and so on...

I checked this out monitoring the links using MRTG.

I've read something about the queue size, that the default is 50 slots,
but
i couldn't understand well the documentation for it, so i don't know how
change and if it can be the problem.

Well, does anybody knows what may be causing this?

By now, i'm limiting all the clients by the double of what it can use
this way it's working fine.

Thanks in advance

---
Joao Carlos
jcrr em ieee.org

----
Para sair da lista envie um e-mail para majordomo em fugspbr.org
com as palavras "unsubscribe fugspbr" no corpo da mensagem.