[FUGSPBR] Squid caindo!!!!

Renato Machado renato em tvcultura.com.br
Ter Jun 18 15:08:57 BRT 2002

Do FAQ do Squid

11.48 Segment Violation at startup or upon first request
Some versions of GCC (notably 2.95.1 through 2.95.3) have bugs with compiler
optimization. These GCC bugs may cause NULL pointer accesses in Squid,
resulting in a ``FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying'' message and a
core dump.

You can work around these GCC bugs by disabling compiler optimization. The
best way to do that is start with a clean source tree and set the CC options
specifically:

% cd squid-x.y
% make distclean
% setenv CFLAGS='-g -Wall'
% ./configure ...

To check that you did it right, you can search for AC_CFLAGS in src/Makefile:

% grep AC_CFLAGS src/Makefile
AC_CFLAGS       = -g -Wall

Now when you recompile, GCC won't try to optimize anything:
% make
Making all in lib...
gcc -g -Wall -I../include -I../include -c rfc1123.c
...etc...

NOTE: some people worry that disabling compiler optimization will negatively
impact Squid's performance. The impact should be negligible, unless your
cache is really busy and already runs at a high CPU usage. For most people,
the compiler optimization makes little or no difference at all.