[FUG-BR] [FYI] the nuOS project - a whole NEW FreeBSD distro, NOT a fork

Welkson Renny de Medeiros welkson em gmail.com
Segunda Julho 8 10:53:27 BRT 2013

Viram essa?

Não seria mais fácil contribuir com o projeto FreeBSD em vez de criar uma
nova variante?

Welkson

The nuOS project ( http://nuos.org ) is about bringing back the power to
the people! Currently, technical software, hardware and networking power.
Ultimately, the power of personal communication and community
self-organization. Currently made by geeks/nerds/hackers for
geeks/nerds/hackers, our intent is to create an entirely new software
ecosystem that promotes quality, easy to use software that is for
any-and-every man woman and child yet without lassoing us all into one herd
of sheeple. ;) Simple, common things should always be EASY. Complex,
amazing or never-before imagined things should always be POSSIBLE.

We have a live image for download from our site. (Fully functional at 189
MB, just cat or dd to your 4 GB or larger usb drive or select it as a
flat-file virtual disk in your hypervisor of choice. It is not an ISO and
nuOS does not work well from optical media.) Or grab our source (currently
hosted by GitHub at
https://github.com/**CropCircleSys/nuOS<https://github.com/CropCircleSys/nuOS>
)
and build the entire system from any FreeBSD 9.1 system with one simple yet
deeply customizable command. (We only build/test on amd64 and would like
that to change in the future.)

It is my belief that our software is PRODUCTION READY with our new beta
release. It might just be the answer to the management headaches you may be
having. Take the plunge tonight and find yourself breezing through your
day-job with "nu"-found ease tomorrow morning. If you're the comfortable
yet cautious type, watch the discussion for a week or two first instead.
Either way, we intend to cause a positive large and lasting motion in the
FreeBSD community.

I hope you will give nuOS a look and offer your assessments and ask any
questions you have. Please tear it and us apart in discussion with the goal
of a better FreeBSD for us all! Documentation is one area that is sorely
lacking though it is mostly because Scott and I consider most of our code
clear enough to have been pretty self-documenting [for our purposes we've
had until now]. It is our hope that with the community's help we will bring
more and more of this platform to the high standard of quality that FreeBSD
is known for. We aren't trying to create our own new garden. We offer this
code with hopes that it, in part or in whole, might be some day included in
canonical FreeBSD releases.

We have NO intention on forking FreeBSD and are instead developing a very
lightweight suite of tools which hopefully capture and collect modern best
practices while providing a testing and proving ground for advanced FreeBSD
features. We want to bring computing to more people, bring more computer
users to open source, bring more high-value and responsible open-source
users to FreeBSD and bring more current FreeBSD users guidance and
enlightenment regarding advanced features in the face of FreeBSD's typical
adherence to maximal backward compatibility, legacy support and solid
ground yet sometimes daunting array of intimately detailed configuration
choices.

We do not seek to limit those choices or to shift the ground beneath
current FreeBSD users' feet. We seek to offer an alternative flavor of
default system for those interested in taking a step back from their
current perspective in order to take a giant flying leap forward. This
doesn't mean giving up anything in terms of compatibility or
configurabilty, quite the contrary. Throughout our evolution, we seek to
always maintain the environment that FreeBSD users have come to know and
love while reducing the issues that sometimes irk them. We simply seek to
provide a better way to structure, provision and maintain production
systems and development processes.

Outline of features:

Extends plain old FreeBSD 9.1 (RELEASE or STABLE) and maintains total
compatibility
We seek to remain nimble
    Expect a production-ready seal of approval to lag behind releases by no
more than a week or two
        and prebuilt images and packages
        e.g. releases like 9.2 and 10.0, et al
            Someone should be able to build it and use all applicable
features on 8.4 with ease
                we simply haven't the time or inclination to even try
Default full ZFS filesystem layout, completely legacy-free
    Boot from ZFS, boot to ZFS
        If you'd like use all 100.0% of all your drives for one large zpool
        Use one large zpool for all of your
            filesystems
            block volumes
            alternate boot environments, including one called "rescue"
which is included
    NO partitions, not some tiny /, not even a /boot
        Just ZFS datasets in their infinite flexibility
            /etc is now a ZFS dataset of its own
                How did we do it?
                    Decades of conventional wisdom says /etc must be on /.
                    Check it out, discuss the whys and the trade-offs.
nu_jail - provision all sorts of jails
    No guesswork
    Yet no cookie-cutter limitations
    Clean-room jails provisioned almost instantly
    ZFS clone of /etc and /var give you almost no storage overhead
    nullfs and/or unionfs mounts of /, /usr, /usr/local give you almost no
memory overhead
        Run 1,000 jails and 10,000 Apache instances
            they safely access the same executable memory pages
            they securely know not of one-another's existence
    Advanced intra-host networking with VIMAGE kernel by default, simplified
    Made for developers who want robustness, power and flexibility
streamlined for
        Unlimited development, testing, staging and production environments
    Uses all of the new jail and vnet features of FreeBSD 9.1
        We cleaned out all of the cruft left over from earlier versions

That is just a taste of the features that we consider complete enough for
use in your PRODUCTION systems. There are many more features production
ready, our approach to package management for instance is in the early
stages and provides simple functionality but does so in a way that is
predictable, reliable and SOLID. It is also our strong commitment that we
will never cram any of these features down your throat. You may take some a
la carte without penalty and you may bring your own tools like pkg-ng,
portupgrade or portmaster.

We never store data in strange places or formats, we use the standard
editable text configuration files and other sanctioned FreeBSD
ways-of-doing-things as a single source of truth. ALL of the nuOS system is
manageable from the command line and those utilities have no external
dependencies, just sh, sed, awk and make from the base FreeBSD system. APIs
still being built atop our core utilities and being packaged for
open-source release expose interfaces such as HTTP REST, SNMPv3 and Mailman
and may do so using advanced software packages from the ports collection.
Functionality will NOT be introduced in APIs, web-apps or GUIs that is not
equally usable, first-class, from the command line. Not even curses GUIs.
Curse curses!

All that being said, the project is in it's infancy. Just breaching the
birth-canal, quite literally, with this announcement. It's not going to do
your work for you or cook you dinner just yet. What it offers is clean and
complete. Incomplete areas will be clearly marked with orange cones and
yellow tape. They will not impede your path should you decide to avoid them.

It should be noted that the nuOS project is a loose not-for-profit
association currently sponsored by a for-profit corporation, Crop Circle
Systems, Inc. ( http://ccsys.com ) of which I am a founder. (A corporation
with a market cap of about that of a used Yugo, but a for-profit
corporation nonetheless.) All code released from the project is and shall
be covered by either the Simplified BSD license or Mozilla Public License
v2.0 if it is not simply placed into the public domain.

Fonte: *Chad J. Milios on **freebsd-list*