[FUGSPBR] Jordan Hubbard news

all.mac em eudoramail.com all.mac em eudoramail.com
Sex Jul 6 14:59:23 BRT 2001

Não há como negar o comprometimento da Apple com o Mac OS X. O último
investimento no desenvolvimento do sistema operacional foi a contratação
de Jordan Hubbard, co-fundador do FreeBSD.

O núcleo do Mac OS X, conhecido como Darwin, é baseado no BSD (sigla de
Berkeley Software Distribution, o primeiro Unix não proprietário,
lançado em 1979). Jordan Hubbard será gerente do departamento de
tecnologia BSD da Apple, cuidando do projeto open source do Darwin,
entre outras coisas. Ele começou sua carreira nos anos 70 e sempre
esteve envolvido com a comunidade open source, tendo fundado em 1992 o
projeto FreeBSD.

Hubbard afirmou em recentes entrevistas que tem acompanhado o
desenvolvimento do OS X desde o lançamento da versão Beta Pública no ano
passado.

--

Dear members of the FreeBSD community,

As many of you know, I've spent the last 7 years working at Walnut Creek
CDROM, BSDi and, for the last 3 months, WindRiver Systems as a general
FreeBSD evangelist and product manager for the FreeBSD CDROM product
line. That work has certainly been important to the community and it's
been very satisfying to see FreeBSD products appear on store shelves and
on web sites, to say nothing of the many thousands of CDs we've been
able to make available to schools and people doing FreeBSD promotional
events. We've also gone from being just one person working on FreeBSD
releases to a small team which also works on FreeBSD infrastructural
support and "focused efforts" like the SMPng project. By any metric
given the economic situation these days, FreeBSD's progress has been
very strong and it's been my privilege to be able to work with so many
talented people in enhancing its commercial potential. It's my sincere
hope that WindRiver will continue these initiatives as well as providing
unique and significant value of its own to the FreeBSD community.

Those who've been following my writings about and general enthusiasm for
Apple's OS X lately also won't be surprised by the news that I'm going
to work for Apple Computer. Ever since Apple released the initial public
Beta, I've been following OS X's progress with great interest and an
increasing desire to get involved with it somehow. For those who've been
living under a rock this last year, OS X has finally managed to achieve
what's been something of a holy grail for the Unix community - take a
powerful Unix core (BSD) and mate it with a usable desktop, GUI
development tools and some real applications, all without sacrificing
access to the underlying features of Unix. Apple has even bundled tools
like PERL and EMACS as part of the base system, proving that they're
more than willing to appeal to the techies out there as well as the
general consumer who may never get past the desktop. From the Open
Source perspective, Apple is also making a strong play with Darwin, the
core OS component of OS X. Full sources are available to the general
public and Apple is making full use of CVS and other tools which will
help keep the development process coherent, just as FreeBSD has done.
For a "day job", I really couldn't ask for a better combination of open
source community work and cutting-edge commercial development which will
help me expand my horizons and hopefully learn more about the
intricacies of user interface/human factors engineering. I expect both
to help me significantly in the FreeBSD work I will also continue to do.
Which brings us to the next topic: "What does this mean for FreeBSD?"

Let me assure you all that Apple does fully understand the importance of
FreeBSD and they don't want me or anyone else to stop working on it.
FreeBSD doesn't compete with Apple's product offerings in any way and
provides an excellent source of technology for them. Darwin is
substantially based on FreeBSD 3.2 and Apple certainly doesn't want the
technology transfer to end there or to be strictly one-way. Part of my
mandate will in fact be helping Apple to be an even better Open Source
citizen, increasing collaboration and strengthening relationships with
FreeBSD and other Open Source projects.

With the release of OS X, Apple will literally be the largest Unix
vendor on the planet. They take this very seriously, and realize that
their involvement with the Open Source community is a critical component
of their success. They've also been very good about giving FreeBSD
credit for its contributions during their presentations and on their web
site, so this is far from being just another (usual) case of someone
taking FreeBSD and burying it deep into some completely closed-source
product. Apple is proud of its BSD-derived technology and it's not
afraid to say so, something which removes a lot of the concern over a
potential conflict of interest from my shoulders. I think that an
expanded relationship between FreeBSD and its "sister" project Darwin
can only be to the benefit of both groups. If you think about it, our
"mandates" are essentially identical: To provide BSD technology to the
mass market and work on making it as approachable and robust as
possible. Only the types of hardware each focuses on are different, and
in areas where there's overlap (USB, firewire, etc) we can certainly do
our best to collaborate.

As has probably already become rather obvious, I'm very excited to be
joining Apple and look forward to working with some fascinating people
and products. Wearing my "FreeBSD.org hat", I will also continue to
support WindRiver's efforts in any way I can to ensure that the FreeBSD
product line there continues and that FreeBSD can continue to be a
solution which is broadly applicable to a wide array of markets. The
FreeBSD product line has reached the stage where I feel comfortable
taking a job which allows me to focus more on Darwin. While I have
enjoyed my time working with the people and projects at BSDi and
WindRiver, I simply couldn't resist the opportunity of working at Apple.

Sincerely,

- Jordan