[FUGSPBR] futuro do bsd

Marcello Mezzanotti mezzanet em iname.com
Sex Out 5 09:51:53 BRT 2001

Senhores,

vindo do slashdot

Wind River lays off FreeBSD developers; Q&A Posted by
	Nik	on Friday October 05, @03:32AM

from the been-here-before dept.
SidVicious and Intosi both wrote in with news that Wind River Systems
(WRS), who had acquired BSDi's software assets earlier this year,
including a team of FreeBSD developers, has laid off those developers.
This has also been reported in other places, such as DaemonNews.
This raises some interesting questions; for example, what happens to the
"FreeBSD" trademark, which Wind River currently own.  Read on for Wind
River's answers to this and other questions.

In the interests of full disclosure.  I'm also nik em freebsd.org, although
not a WRS employee.  I was employed by BSDi in Europe, before the
European team were laid off as part of the WRS acquisition.  These
questions were answered by WindRiver's PR department.
Q: WRS has already been through two rounds of layoffs in the recent
past.  Why this third set of lay offs now?  Are the FreeBSD developers
the only ones affected?
Wind River has only had two rounds of layoffs. During the second
round Wind River decided to divest itself of the FreeBSD project. We
spent several weeks looking for a suitable corporate sponsor but did not
find any company with sufficient interest and financial capability in
this challenging economy. This week's layoff of the FreeBSD employees is
therefore Wind River's "final option" in executing the plans set in
motion by the second round of layoffs.
Q: WRS currently own the trademark "FreeBSD".  Do WRS plan to retain the
trademark?  If so, why?  If not, will WRS let the trademark lapse?  Or
are there plans to transfer it to a third party, such as the FreeBSD
Foundation?
Wind River plans to ensure continuation of the altruistic, open
stewardship of the FreeBSD trademark. We feel strongly that the FreeBSD
project must be protected and encouraged and that a FreeBSD trademark in
the wrong hands could be very detrimental. We continue to search for the
best solution. No specific third-party has yet been determined, but
transfer to a
suitable third-party is the leading option being considered.
Q: WRS own the "bsd.com" domain. Will that be retained?
Possibly. Wind River will continue to invest in BSD/OS and
participate as a highly interested member of the *BSD community. As
such, the bsd.com domain may be important for Wind River. We are
weighing this against the needs of the *BSD community and hope to
resolve the issue later this month.
Q: What's happening to the "FreeBSD Mall", at freebsdmall.com?
freebsdmall.com continues to operate and take orders, and all new
and existing orders from customers for FreeBSD 4.4 or other products
will continue to be fulfilled. Wind River is still evaluating its long
term options and strategy for the FreeBSD Mall, but plans to maintain
its presence and service either internally or externally.
Q: As part of the BSDi acquisition, WRS will (presumably) have picked up
customers who had subscribed to the BSDi CD sets of FreeBSD. Will WRS
continue to service those customers, or are their subscriptions now
cancelled?
Like all customer contracts, subscription orders will continue to be
fulfilled.
Q: BSDi (and, it seemed, WRS) had made some headway in producing
additional FreeBSD boxed products to go in to the retail channel. Will
WRS
continue to do this?
Wind River is currently continuing activities to promote FreeBSD 4.4
through the retail channel. Future FreeBSD releases will probably not be
produced or distributed by Wind River.
Q: Will WRS continue to produce the usual 4 disc CD sets of FreeBSD,
including one for the recently released FreeBSD 4.4?
Yes, for FreeBSD 4.4.
Q: WRS had been funding work on the FreeBSD Handbook, in order to print
the second edition in the near future. [ Disclaimer, I'm co-editor of
this
work, along with your employee, Murray Stokely ] Will WRS continue with
plans to print the second edition of the FreeBSD Handbook?
Wind River will encourage any stewards that emerge to take on FreeBSD
publication to complete and publish this work.
Q: WRS houses the "FreeBSD Test Lab" at its Alameda campus. Will WRS
continue to host this facility?
No. Some equipment from this lab will be transferred to Yahoo! which
hosts much of the build structure equipment for FreeBSD, as well as the
primary CVS source repository and main FreeBSD mail server. Wind River
does not plan to maintain the FreeBSD test lab at its Alameda, CA
headquarters.

--
| Marcello Mezzanotti <mezzanet em iname.com>            ICQ: 1845241 |
| Network/System/Security Administrator                            |