[FUG-BR] [OT] - PC-BSD 8.0 Alpha

josias gonçalves josiaslg em bsd.com.br
Domingo Setembro 6 02:53:39 BRT 2009

Repassando e-mail com anuncio do PC-BSD 8 (baseado no FreeBSD 8.2
Beta), ainda apenas para testes de novas funções, entre outras, o modo
live cd permitindo o teste direto do cd/dvd sem instalação.

Segue:

____________

Testers,

We've gotten a PC-BSD 8.0 ALPHA ISO to the point where the brave can
begin to take a look at some of it's
new features, and test out the new FreeBSD 8 on your hardware. This
release is for 32bit only, after FreeBSD 8.0
is released we'll begin the amd64 builds as well. Also, we have not
begun to build the PBI tree for 8.0, and will
do so after FreeBSD 8.0 releases. However, you can still install 7.x
PBIs on 8.0, but they may not all
perform properly.

*WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*

This is obviously a very early alpha build, so expect plenty of bugs
and missing features. This is mainly
a release for previewing what's to come, we will begin a more serious
bug hunt after we finish implementing all
the new features for 8.0.

*WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*

Download Link:

ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/x32/

(You may wish to use a FTP client that supports resuming for this download)

-- Changes implemented already --

* Built on FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2

* Includes KDE 4.3.1 / QT 4.5.2

* ISO Changes
   - Support for running in Installation or LIVE mode to try out
PC-BSD straight from disk

* New Software Manager
   - Web-based software browser
   - Download & Install PBIs in the background
   - Background updating of PBIs
   - Mirror Selection / Customization options
   - Automated system update installation
   - Re-create desktop icons for applications

* PBI Improvements
   - Using xdg-desktop* utilities for mime / kmenu icon installation
   - Scripts to re-create desktop / kmenu / mime icons anytime after
installation

-- Changes still needing to be merged in --

* Brand new System Installer
   - Supports installing PC-BSD Desktop/Server and FreeBSD Vanilla
   - Supports scriptable installation

* Backup / Recovery tool

--
Kris Moore